Fertility Financing Overview: Know Thy Options
If you’ve been diagnosed with infertility, you probably have dollar signs flashing through your mind. It’s no secret that infertility treatment is expensive – so how are you going to pay for it? Fertility financing is one of the greatest obstacles in moving forward with treatment.
According to the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), 58% of couples who are diagnosed as infertile and postpone treatment cite cost as the reason. There are, however, a number of infertility financing options available to you:
- Insurance. The first place to start is with your insurance coverage. Fifteen states mandate some form of fertility treatment coverage. And regardless of the state you live in, your health insurance plan through your employer may offer some form of coverage, as well.
- Fertility Financing. There are a number of fertility financing plans you may want to check out. For example, Attain FertilityTM clinics provide financing through Springstone Patient Financing.
- Credit card companies. If you have been a loyal customer who’s in good standing, your credit card issuer may increase your line of credit (sometimes at a reduced rate) that you can use as part of your infertility financing plan.
- Existing assets and investments. You may be able to use a home equity line of credit, take a loan against your 401K or other investment and insurance policy for fertility financing. If you have a financial counselor, he/she can advise you on your options.
- Family. Don’t overlook family members who may be willing to loan you money – possibly with no interest.
- Grants. Non-profit organizations such as B.U.M.P.S. Inc. raise money and offer grants to assist couples in need of financial assistance.
- Fertility treatment programs – Many clinics offer discounted fees for course-of-treatment IVF programs, such as our Attain® IVF programs.
- Military families. Some clinics offer a discount to families serving in the military as well as veterans.
- Savings. And of course there’s always the option to start saving now. It means delaying treatment, but with a structured budget, you may have the resources available sooner than you think.
Lotus Blossom Consulting offers a free, downloadable book, Financing Your Infertility Treatment that’s filled with ideas and inspiration.
Unquestionably, infertility treatment is an investment in time and money. It’s worth the time and effort to find the right solutions for you that can cover the cost of infertility treatment. By doing your fertility financing homework at the onset of your journey, you’ll be in a better position to stay the course of treatment and work towards your dream of having a baby.Sources