Dr. Steven Young was born in Georgia and grew up in South Carolina, Florida, and California. He received his college degree from the University of California at San Diego and both his M.D. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Miami. Dr. Young completed his residency training in OB/GYN at Yale-New Haven Hospital and received additional advanced subspecialty fellowship training in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at the University of North Carolina. Dr. Young was a member of the faculty at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston and at the University of Missouri before returning to UNC in 2004.
Dr. Young is Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology and directs a research laboratory focused on solving the mysteries of embryo implantation. He is board certified in both Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. Dr. Young has served as President of the Reproductive Immunology Special Interest Group of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, has won numerous awards for research and teaching, and has published over 30 articles in scientific journals and textbooks. His outside interests include playing with his two children, reading about the history of science, sailing, and swimming.
Dr. Young has special interest and expertise in: infertility, in vitro fertilization (IVF), hormone problems, and endometriosis.
- Lesmeister MJ, Jorgenson RL, Young SL, Misfeldt ML . 17ý-Estradiol Suppresses TLR3-Induced Cytokine and Chemokine Production in Endometrial Epithelial Cells. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology 2005, 3:74
- Jorgenson RL, Young SL, Lesmeister MJ, Lyddon TD, Misfeldt ML. Human Endometrial Epithelial Cells Cyclically Express TLR3 and Exhibit TLR3-Dependent Responses to dsRNA. Human Immunology 2005; 66: 469-82.
- Radhakrishnan Y, Hamil KG, Yenugu S, Young SL, French FS, Hall SH. Identification, characterization, and evolution of a primate b-defensin gene cluster. Genes and Immunity:
Books & Chapters
- Young SL and Loy T. Normal Cycling Endometrium: Molecular, Cellular, and Histologic Perspectives. In: Endometriosis in Clinical Practice. David Olive (ed.) 2004. In Press - 22 page manuscript.
- Young SL, Al-Hendy A and Copland JA. Potential Non-Hormonal Therapeutics for Medical Treatment of Leiomyomas. Seminars in Reproductive Medicine. 2004; 22:121-30.
- Young SL and Lessey BA. Integrins in Endometrium and Endometriosis. In: Endometrium and Endometriosis. Michael Diamond and Kevin Osteen (eds.), Blackwell Science, 1997: 121-130.
- Lessey BA and Young SL. Integrins and Other Cell Adhesion Molecules in Endometrium and Endometriosis. Seminars in Reproductive Endocrinology. 1997; 15: 291-299.
- Melner MH, Allen RG, Young SL, Low KG. Expression of high levels of proenkephalin in an isolated glial cell type: Inhibition by ?-interferon. In Neuropeptides and Immunopeptides, NY Academy of Sciences, 1989.
- Young SL, Lyddon TD, Jorgenson RL, Misfeldt ML. Expression of Toll-like Receptors in Human Endometrial Epithelial Cells and Cell Lines. American Journal of Reproductive Immunology 2004; 52:67-73.
- Hoffman RW, Gazitt T, Foecking MF, Ortmann RA, Misfeldt ML, Jorgenson RL, Young SL, Greidinger EL. U1-RNA Induces Innate Immune Signaling. Arthritis & Rheumatism 2004; 50:2891-2896.
- Fang L, Nowicki BJ, Urvil P, Yallampalli U, Goluszko P, Nowicki S, Young SL, Yallampalli C. Epithelial Invasion by Escherichia coli Bearing Dr Fimbriae Is Controlled by Nitric Oxide-Regulated Expression of CD55. Infect Immun 2004; 72: 2907-2914.
- Breitkopf DM, Rosen MP, Young SL, and Nagamani, M. Efficacy of second versus third generation oral contraceptives in the treatment of hirsutism. Contraception 2003; 67: 349-353.
- Lessey BA, Gui Y, Apparao KBC, Yuan L, Young SL, Mullholland J. Regulated Expression of Heparin-Binding Epidermal Growth Factor (HB-EGF) in the Human Endometrium: A Potential Paracrine Role during Implantation. Mol Reprod Dev 2002; 62:446-55.
- Daftary GS , Troy PJ , Bagot CN , Young SL, and Taylor HS. Direct regulation of Beta 3 Integrin subunit gene expression by HOXA10 in endometrial cells. Molecular Endocrinology 2002; 16: 571-9.
- Young SL, Lessey BA, Murray MJ, Fritz, MA, Meyer, WR, Speckman, PL and Nowicki BJ. In vivo and in vitro evidence suggest that HB-EGF regulates endometrial expression of human decay accelerating factor (DAF). J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2002; 87: 1368-75.
- Young SL, Opsahl MS, Fritz MA. Serum concentrations of clomiphene isomers across multiple consecutive clomiphene citrate treatment cycles. Fertil Steril 1999;71:639-44.
- Young SL, Barbera L, Kaynard AH, Haugland RP, Kang HC, Brinkley M, and Melner MH. A non-radioactive assay for transfected chloramphenicol acetyltransferase activity using fluorescent substrates. Analytical Biochemistry 1991;197; 401-407.
- Young SL, Searles RP, Kaynard AH,. Melner MH. Specific inhibition of Protein Kinase A in Granulosa Cells Abolishes Gonadotropin Regulation of the Proopiomelanocortin Promoter. Journal of Biological Chemistry 1991;266:15839-44.
- Melner MH, Young SL. Intracellular mechanisms of gonadotropin-stimulated gene expression in granulosa cells. Steroids 1991;56: 232-6.
- Hruby DE, Brinkley MJ, Kang HC, Young SL, Melner MH. Fluorescent Chloamphenicol Derivative as a Substrate for CAT Assay. Biotechniques 1990;8: 170-1.
- Saneto RP, Low KG, Young SL, Nielsen CP, Melner MH. The Regulation of Proenkephalin Expression in a Distinct Population of Glial Cells. The EMBO Journal 1990;9: 791-6.
- Young SL, Melner MH. Androgens Amplify ?-Adrenergic and FSH Stimulation of Granulosa Cells. Steroids 1989;54:583-91.
- Young SL, Nielsen CP, Lundblad JL, Roberts JR, Melner MH. Gonadotropin Regulation of the Rat Proopiomelanocortin Promoter: Characterization by transfection of Primary Ovarian Granulosa Cells. Molecular Endocrinology 1989;3:15-21.
- Melner MH, Young SL, Czerwiec FS, Lyn D, Puett D, Roberts JL, Koos RD. The Regulation of Granulosa Cell Proopiomelanocortin Messenger Ribonucleic Acid by Androgens and Gonadotropins. Endocrinology 1986;119: 2082-8.
- Young SL, Jackson AE, Puett D, Melner MH. Detection of Chloramphenicol Acetyl Transferase Activity in Transfected Cells: A Rapid and Sensitive HPLC-based method. DNA 1985;6:469-75.
- Jorgenson RL, Young SL, Lesmeister MJ, Lyddon TD, Misfeldt ML. Human Endometrial Epithelial Cells Cyclically Express TLR3 and Exhibit TLR3-Dependent Responses to dsRNA. Manuscript submitted to Human Immunology 2004.
- Radhakrishnan Y, Hamil KG, Yenugu S, Young SL, French FS, Hall SH. Identification, characterization, and evolution of a primate b-defensin gene cluster. Manuscript submitted 2004.