No other month invokes romance quite like February. After all, that’s where Valentine’s Day lives on the calendar. Those lucky enough to be in love when that day comes around celebrate with flowers, movies, fancy dinners, stuffed animals, cuddling by the fire, and delicious chocolates housed in heart-shaped boxes. But why reserve all of those tokens of love for only one day, when there’s an option in town to show your love all month long? It’s called Romance Awareness Month and get ready, people, because it’s happening this August.
And why not August? Summer is by far the best time to be in love. We all have that one summer romance we remember fondly, the one so sweet it lasted only until the school bell rang and mercilessly thrust us back into reality. Gone were the long days on the beach, basking in the sun, frolicking in the water, filled with endless conversation and boundless laughter. The warm nights, each of which each held the expectation of endless possibilities, came to an end far too quickly. There was no better feeling in the world than being carefree and wonderstruck.
Now that we’re all grown up, there are plenty of ways to celebrate Romance Awareness Month and rekindle those feelings of love and desire. It’s also a great time to take a break from the norm, shed the stressors in our lives, and find the kid inside ourselves. While many of us might not have the flexibility to take the summer off, we can find time during at least a few of those days to make the one we love feel appreciated. Here are our top 10 ideas to sprinkle the seeds of love throughout August:
1. The Beach Get-Away. Come on now, do we have to explain why this is a good idea? There’s nothing better than just you and your honey, relaxing on the beach and enjoying the view of cool blue water while you dig your feet into the hot, enveloping sand. Plus, there’s the added bonus of a mini-massage from your partner when you break out the sunscreen.
2. The Couples Massage. If the beach isn’t your thing, then head to a high-end salon for some soothing music, aromatherapy, and a couples massage. You don’t have to tell us to kick our feet up twice. Relax. Rest. Repeat.
3. Sunset Dinner on the Water. The early evening has always been a fantastic time to be near the water. The sun dips lower in the sky, glistens on the sea, and casts a beautiful, warm glow on everyone and everything. Pure heaven. Grab a beach blanket, picnic basket, and beverage of choice, then just sit back and enjoy. Get your playlist going, and enter the love zone – no sunscreen necessary.
4. Sailing, Take Me Away. You don’t need to be a sailor to hop on a boat. Find a chartered boat cruise, and take your honey on a “floating holiday!” Romance alert: the wake from another boat could have your partner stumbling into your arms at any moment.
5. Drive-In Movie Night. The best movies come out in summer, and nothing beats the all-American classic – the drive-in movie theater. You’ll have the comfort of watching the movie from your own car, snuggling together under a blanket, and sharing a big bucket of popcorn…and maybe even a few kisses!
6. Go For a Walk Together. Cool summer evenings are the best for long walks, taking in nature, catching a sunset, and spotting some fireflies. Grab your partner’s hand and feel the sparks fly!
7. Be Helpful. We all have so much to take care of in life, that we often don’t have time to do it all. Find ways to be helpful. See what needs to be done and don’t ask, just do it. There are many opportunities if you just look around. The smallest gestures pay the greatest dividends.
8. Make a Nice Dinner. Cooking is an act of love. Make your partner’s favorite dinner, and hit a home run with a romantic table setting – candles, flowers, and music. Finish on a sweet note with a spectacular dessert. The rest is up to you.
9. Summer Theater Group. Many towns are home to visiting theater troupes that run a few select shows for a limited time throughout the summer. Mix up the monotony of the work week and surprise your partner with a weeknight show. Although just one night, you’ll make a memory that lasts a lifetime.
10. I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream. Summer is synonymous with ice cream. We all have that favorite place we used to beg mom and dad to take us to so that we could cool off and enjoy a delicious treat. If you want to feel like two kids in love, this is the venue for you. Splurge for the double scoop or share a sundae with the works.
Where or how you choose to celebrate your love is less important than ensuring that you take the time to do it. While appreciating one’s partner should be an everyday occurrence, it’s good to have Romance Awareness Month to bring the focus where it should be right when we need it most. After all, it’ll be another six months until Valentine’s Day.