Fertility Specialist Overview

Fertility Specialist Overview Fertility Specialist Overview

Is your biological clock ticking away? Are you considering fertility treatments to help you get pregnant? If so, a reproductive endocrinologist may be just what you need. 

Reproductive endocrinologists (REs) may be referred to as fertility specialists, fertility doctors or even simply as an “RE.” Don’t be confused! An RE is a doctor who specializes in fertility diagnostics and treatment.

Reproductive endocrinologist or OB/GYN?
A reproductive endocrinologist has the same formal education and medical requirements as an OB/GYN. However, REs go on to complete further courses and training in reproductive endocrinology.

A reproductive endocrinologist receives training in both male and female infertility and may be the best professional to explain your infertility treatment options.

Testing with a fertility specialist
If you see a fertility specialist, you will need to undergo a physical examination, take your medical history and perform specific blood tests to evaluate your hormones. Your doctor may also test for other female and male infertility problems.

Once a proper diagnosis is made, your RE will create a customized treatment plan that gives you the best chance of having a baby.

Treatment with a fertility specialist
An RE may recommend fertility drugs, surgery, or high-tech fertility treatment options including the following:

A fertility specialist can give you hope
If you have been trying to get pregnant for a year (or for six months if you are over 35) and natural conception has not worked, an RE can help!

Your RE will evaluate your situation and recommend the best fertility treatment options to help you get pregnant. 

Find a local fertility specialist

  • International Council on Infertility Information Dissemination, Inc.: The Infertility Q & A: Testing with a Reproductive Endocrinologist
  • RESOLVE: What is an infertility specialist?